Dominican Beet Salad
Whether at school or at home, for lunch or dinner, try this healthy recipe from the Go!Chefs Kids Cooking Classes
Click here to download a PDF of the Dominican Beet Salad Recipe.
Serves 6-8 for dinner or 16 for snack
2 pound potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
4 large beets, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
½ pound string beans, ends removed and cut into 1-inch pieces
2 ears of corn, husked and kernels removed from cobs
1 red apple, cored and cut into small pieces
½ bunch of cilantro leaves, finely chopped
½ bunch fresh chives, finely chopped
4 scallions, finely sliced
3 tablespoons low-fat sour cream
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Separately, boil potatoes, beets, and string beans until tender but firm (a fork goes easily through them but they are not falling apart). Rinse each vegetable under cold water until cool, drain, and transfer to a large bowl.
- Place eggs in a pot two-thirds full of cold water and bring to a gentle boil. Cook for 10-12 minutes. Rinse under cold water, crack and peel shell. Roughly chop and place in bowl with potatoes, beets, and beans.
- Add corn kernels, apple, cilantro, chives, and scallions to bowl with other vegetables.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together sour cream, olive oil, and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour dressing over vegetables and mix well but gently so vegetables don’t break and until each ingredient is lightly covered sour cream. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve.