Adolescent Services/Teen Program
The Children's Aid Society East Harlem Center “Dare-to-Dream” teen program provides adolescent youth between the ages of 13 and 18 with a diverse range of activities and services focused on the physical, emotional, social, cognitive and academic development of adolescent youth as well provide opportunities for personal growth, expression and leadership. The East Harlem Center teen program aims to have a lasting influence on the lives of adolescents through the use of time-tested youth development strategies.
- Academic tutoring: Qualified tutors provide an hour of homework help and tutoring, encouraging members to become self-directed learners. Tutoring is offered in small groups.
- Money Matters program: Promotes financial responsibility and independence among young people. Participants learn how to manage a checking account, create a budget, save and invest, start small businesses and pay for college.
- Leadership and Character Development: Hope Leadership/VIP and Keystone Club use community involvement, entrepreneurial projects and workshops to build confidence and self-awareness.
- Keystone Club: This unique leadership development experience provides opportunities for young people ages 14 to 18. Youth participate, both in and out of the club, in activities in three focus areas: academic success, career preparation, and community service. With the guidance of an adult advisor, Keystone Club aims to have a positive impact on members, the club, and community.
- E.X.C.E.L. (Educational Excellence Creating Empowered Leaders): Places motivated youth on a higher educational track as early as the 8th grade. The program is designed to prepare youth for college and the world of work. EXCEL’s financial literacy component--comprised of Economic Empowerment Initiative, Milestone Awards, and the College Scholarship Fund--addresses the particular challenges low-income students and families face in reaching their higher education dreams.
- STEM: The robotics program, offered by the New York Academy of Science, is designed to get children excited about science & technology and teach the valuable employment and life skills. Incorporating teamwork, practices, and team spirit; robotics is more similar to a sports team than your average afterschool science club.
- UPS Road Code: A four-week program developed by UPS. Teens will learn about safe driving, consequences of distracted and hazardous driving, identifying road hazards using interactive computer games and practice their driving skills with a driving simulator.
- Personal Development / SMART Moves Program (Skills Mastery And Resistance Training): SMART Moves is a small group health, fitness, prevention/education, and self-esteem enhancement program designed to meet the developmental needs of young people. The program engages our youth in discussion and role-playing, practice resistance and refusal skills, develop assertiveness, strengthen decision-making skills and analyzing media and peer influence.
- Fitness and Sports: Teens can participate in short-structured fitness activities designed by our Activity Specialist. Current programs they can participate in are Basketball and the STEP Program.
- Go!Chefs / Food Justice Programs: Programs promote understanding and change related to healthier eating by encouraging youth to engage their community members and find creative ways for healthier eating solutions.
Hours of Operation
Monday – Friday 6-8 p.m.
Requirements for Admission
- Youth must be between ages 13 and 18.
- Completed teen and OST Applications.
- Current physical examination.
Register for The East Harlem "Dare-To-Dream" Teen Program.
- Who We Serve
- What We Do
- Adoption & Foster Care
- After School & Weekend
- College Savers Program
- Early Childhood
- Family Support
- Health Services
- Juvenile Justice
- Pregnancy Prevention
- Prevention Resource Center
- Public Policy
- Special Initiatives
- Sports & Recreation
- Take Action
- Volunteer Services
- Youth Development
- Where It Happens
- East Harlem Center
- Mental Health Services
- Photo Galleries