Latest Update on the Campaign to Save After-School and Child Care for 47,000 Children

Email Twitter Facebook MySpace Stumble Upon Digg | More |

The campaign continues to convince city leaders to preserve funding for 47,000 after-school and child care slots. The Huffington Post provides a detailed look at the situation, including comments from Katherine Eckstein, Children's Aid Director of Public Policy:

The mayor is set to release his executive budget Thursday, and the city's child-care advocates said they haven't heard any rumblings indicating a last-minute restoration of funds. "We're very concerned, and frankly outraged," said Katherine Eckstein, the director of public policy for the Children's Aid Society. "It's exactly the opposite of the direction the city should be going in." - from Bloomberg Budget Brawl: Children's Advocates Scramble To Save New York's State-Of-The-Art After-School System On Eve Of Massive Cuts

WNYC's coverage of the budget situation includes the following:

City Council Finance Committee Chairman Domenic Recchia told WNYC he hopes the mayor will back off plans announced earlier this year to cut day care and after school programs for close to 50,000 children. He said his phone is ringing off the hook.

It is important to keep those phones ringing and the messages pouring in to the inboxes of our elected officials. Find out what you can do to preserve these vital programs by visiting the Children's Aid Take Action page. Make your voice heard!