Data Made Easy: Alcohol
The Truth About Alcohol
WHAT IS ALCOHOL?
Alcohol is a depressant. It is derived from the natural fermentation of fruits, vegetables and grains. These are brewed and distilled into a wide range of beverages with various alcohol contents.
HOW ARE IT CONSUMED?
Alcohol is a liquid. Types include beer, wine, and liquor.
WHAT ARE THE SHORT TERM EFFECTS?
Effects vary based on several factors including, height, weight, age, sex, and amount of food consumed. They include:
- Slurred speech
- Disturbed sleep
- Nausea, and vomiting
- Impairs the judgment and coordination required to drive a car safely
WHAT ARE THE LONG TERM EFFECTS?
- Alcoholism (Dependence and Addiction)
- Permanent damage to organs including kidneys, liver, and the brain
- Fetal Alcohol Syndrome - Mental retardation and other physical abnormalities
WHAT IS UNDERAGE DRINKING
Underage drinking is when anyone under the minimum legal drinking age of 21 drinks alcohol.
HOW WIDESPREAD IS UNDERAGE DRINKING?
- By age 15, more than 50 percent of teens have had at least 1 drink.
- By age 18, more than 70 percent of teens have had at least 1 drink
- In 2009, 10.4 million young people ages 12–20 reported that they drank alcohol beyond “just a few sips” in the past month.
WHY DO SO MANY YOUNG PEOPLE DRINK?
Many youth want to try alcohol, but often do not fully recognize its effects on their health and behavior. Other reasons young people drink alcohol include:
- Peer pressure
- Increased independence, or desire for it
WHAT IS BINGE DRINKING?
Binge drinking means drinking so much within about 2 hours to reach the legal limit of intoxication.
- 18.8 percent of 16-17 year old boys engage in binge drinking
- 14.9 percent of 16-17 year old girls engage in binge drinking
YOUTH RISK BEHAVIOR SURVEY 2011
- Who We Serve
- What We Do
- Adoption & Foster Care
- After School & Weekend
- Early Childhood
- Family Support
- Health Services
- Juvenile Justice
- Legal Advocacy
- Pregnancy Prevention
- Prevention Resource Center
- Special Initiatives
- Sports & Recreation
- Take Action
- Volunteer Services
- Youth Development
- Youth In Care Coalition
- Where It Happens
- Bronx Family Center
- CAS College Prep
- Community Schools
- Drew Hamilton Learning Center
- Dunlevy Milbank Center
- East Harlem Center
- Frederick Douglass Center
- Goodhue Center
- Hope Leadership Academy
- Next Generation Center
- Philip Coltoff Center
- Rhinelander Children's Center
- Taft Day Care Center
- Wagon Road Camp