2010 Iron Go! Chefs Competition
The first annual Iron Go! Chefs competition was held on June 11, 2010 at the East Harlem Center! Teams of middle school students from our East Harlem Center, IS 98, Mirabal Sisters Campus, IS 166, and Fannie Lou Hamer Middle competed in a healthy cooking competition. Judges included Children’s Aid President and CEO Richard R. Buery, Jr., ABC News Health Correspondent Dr. Richard Besser, James Beard award-winning cookbook author Lorna Sass, and Jacqueline Morillo, Children’s Aid Cook at East Harlem, and Next Generation Catering crew member Ryan Frazier.
The judges had the honor of tasting five delicious meals and the difficult task of choosing award winners. The Iron Go! Chefs competition exemplified the best of Children’s Aid: programmatic innovation, project based learning, youth development, healthy eating and lifestyles, and fun! Not only was each participant a winner but each team stood out for their delicious culinary creations:
- The Most Healthful Dish was the tasty whole wheat pasta with beans and veggies created by the I.S. 98 Chefettes
- Best Teamwork award went to the Mirabal Sister’s Campus Food Fighters for their Omelet a la Mirabal and Papaya Strawberry Smoothie
- Best Presentation went to the East Harlem Center Mighty Bites, for their Salmon Caliente with Quinoa, Asiago Asparagus and Spiced Sweet Potato Wedges
- Most Original Dish went to IS 166’s Fire and Spice team for Seared Salmon with Asparagus and Carrot Brown Rice Risotto
- Best Tasting Dish and Best All Around went to the Fannie Lou Hamer Saute Champions for their Shrimp Saute with Creamy Polenta and Pesto Sauce
Click on the thubnail images below to view the complete, full-size picture.