Vegetable Dumplings with Soy-Ginger Dipping Sauce
Whether at school or at home, try this healthy recipe from the Go!Chefs Kids Cooking Classes
Click here to download a PDF of the Vegetable Dumpling Recipe.
Yields 35-40 dumplings
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely minced
4 carrots, peeled and grated
½ green cabbage, finely chopped
6 scallions, finely sliced
2 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely minced
¼ bunch of cilantro, finely chopped
2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 packet of wonton wrappers
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3/4 cup of low-sodium soy sauce
1/3 cup rice vinegar
2 scallions, finely sliced
1-inch piece fresh ginger, grated
1 ½ teaspoons sesame oil (not hot)
1 ½ teaspoons honey
- Heat a large pan over medium high heat and add sesame oil.
- When oil is hot, add onion, garlic, carrots, cabbage, scallions, ginger, cilantro and soy sauce. Saute vegetables until cabbage is wilted but not too soft, about 10 minutes. Set aside and let cool for 10-15 minutes.
- In the meantime, in a small bowl combine all of the ingredients for the dipping sauce and set aside.
To make the dumplings:
- Fill a small bowl with warm water and set near you.
- Put a scant tablespoon of filling in the middle of a dumpling wrapper.
- Using your fingertip lightly wet the outer rim of the wrapper.
- Fold the dumpling wrapper in two so it creates a half-moon shape and pinch the edges together well. Experiment with different ways of pinching the wrapper to create different shapes. (See attached diagram on how to stuff and shape dumplings.)
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a fry pan. Place dumplings in pan in a single layer. When the underside gets browned and crispy, quickly add a splash (about 2 tablespoons) water to the pan with one hand and with the other hand quickly cover with a tight fitting lid. (When the water hits the pan, it will sizzle and jump. So please warn children to stand back.) Cook another two minutes and remove from heat. Repeat with remaining dumplings.
- Serve dumplings hot with dipping sauce. Enjoy!