String Bean and Potato Salad
Whether at school or at home, for lunch or dinner, try this delicious recipe from the Go!Healthy Parents Program
Click here to download a PDF of the String Bean and Potato Salad recipe.
Serves: 6-8 for dinner or 16 for snack
20 small red potatoes, quartered or 7 large potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 pound string beans, stems removed
1 pint cherry tomatoes, cut in half
½ red onion, cut in half and then sliced into thin half-moons
1 bunch fresh chives, finely chopped
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons Dijon or grain mustard
Juice of 1 lemon
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Put potatoes in a pot of well-salted cold water and bring to boil. Cook potatoes until just tender (a fork goes easily through, but they are not falling apart).
- Remove potatoes with large spoon, put in strainer or colander, and rinse under cold water until cool (do not dispose of boiling water!). Once cool, transfer to large serving bowl.
- Add string beans to the same boiling water. Cook until they are tender but still al dente (should still be a bit crunchy). Remove and rinse under cold water until cool. Add to serving bowl with potatoes.
- Add tomatoes, red onions, and chives to bowl with potatoes and beans.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together olive oil, mustard, lemon juice, and salt and pepper until blended. Drizzle over salad.
- Toss salad, adjust seasoning if necessary, and serve. This salad is delicious served right away, but also good the next day.