Whether at school or at home, for lunch or dinner, try this delicious recipe from the Go!Healthy Parents Program
Click here to download a PDF of the Lentil Soup recipe.
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 large carrots, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1 cup dry lentils
1, 15-ounce can chopped tomatoes
1 bunch (about 10-12 ounces) fresh spinach, well rinsed and roughly chopped
Juice of 1/2 - 1 lemon
Salt and pepper to taste
a handful of fresh parsley, roughly chopped
optional: freshly grated Parmigiano cheese
- In a large pot, heat olive oil and sauté together onion, carrots and celery for about five minutes.
- Add tomatoes, lentils, and a generous pinch of salt and pepper and continue sautéing for 2-3 minutes more, stirring constantly.
- Add 6 cups of water and another pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 35-40 minutes or until lentils and vegetables are very tender. Check soup every 15 minutes or so to make sure lentils and vegetables are covered with liquid the whole time. If necessary, add more water ½ cup at a time.
- Add spinach to the pot and stir it in until it wilts completely—about 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add lemon to taste and parsley. Adjust seasonings and turn off heat.
- Serve hot accompanied by whole grain bread, and if you wish freshly grated Parmigiano cheese.