Chicken-Vegetable Stir Fry
Whether at school or at home, for lunch or dinner, try this delicious recipe from the Go!Healthy Parents Program
Click here to download a PDF of the Chicken-Vegetable Stir Fry Recipe.
Serves 6 for dinner or 15 for snack
¾ cup soy sauce
½ cup rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon honey or sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1.5 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast,
cut into thin strips
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
2 tablespoons sesame oil
2-inch piece ginger, peeled and minced
2 onions, cut into medium dice
3 carrots, peeled and cut into thin matchsticks
3 celery stalks, cut into thinly on a diagonal
1 bunch broccoli, cut into florets, plus peel and cut stems into 1-inch pieces on a diagonal
½ pound bok choy, chopped (or green cabbage, thinly sliced)
1 bunch scallions, cut thinly on a diagonal
Optional: Chinese hot sauce
- To make marinade, combine soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, honey or sugar, and cornstarch.
- Place chicken strips in marinade and set aside for 15-20 minutes.
- In a dry pan, lightly toast sesame seeds until they are fragrant and lightly browned. Set aside.
- In a wok or large pan, heat 1 tablespoon sesame oil until hot but not smoking.
- Remove chicken strips from marinade (reserve marinade for later use) and place into hot pan or wok. Stir-fry chicken for 5 minutes or more depending on thickness of meat-chicken should be white all the way through and have no traces of pink. Cook in batches if necessary. Remove chicken and set aside.
- Add remaining tablespoon of oil to pan or wok. Add onions and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes. Add ginger and garlic and stir-fry for another 30 seconds. Add carrots, celery, and broccoli, and continue to stir-fry for 5-7 minutes until the vegetables are partially cooked but still a bit crunchy. Finally, add bok choy and continue to stir-fry until all vegetables are tender but still crisp, about 2-3 minutes more. Cook in batches if necessary. As you stir-fry, add some of the reserved marinade at regular intervals to keep the vegetables moist.
- Add the rest of the marinade and reserved chicken to the pan or work. Cook for 5 minutes more, stirring frequently until sauce thickens.
- Place stir-fry on serving platter. Garnish with scallions and toasted sesame seeds. Serve hot with brown rice and, if desired, Chinese hot sauce.