Whether at school or at home, for a snack or dessert, try this healthy recipe from the Go!Chefs Kids Cooking Classes
Click here to download a PDF of the Apple Cake recipe.
Serves 8-10 for dessert or snack
3 large apples
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 large eggs
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 stick butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
Zest of ½ of a lemon and ¼ of an orange
Optional topping: powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 9-inch cake pan.
- Peel apples and cut them in very thin slices.
- Sift flour and baking powder into one bowl. Mix and set aside.
- Combine rest of ingredients, except powdered sugar, into a separate bowl. Mix well.
- Pour wet mixture into dry and mix with spatula until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Gently fold apples into batter. The batter will be quite thick and only barely coat the apples.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan. Bake on center rack for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean and cake is lightly browned on top.
- Remove cake from pan to cooling rack for at least 30 minutes. Dust with powdered sugar and serve.