African Curry Fish Stew
Makes about 20 servings for 3- to 5-year-olds
Makes about 15 servings for 6 year olds and up
This recipe fulfills the total Meat Alternate and one half of the Vegetable/Fruit component.
Click here to download a pdf of the African Curry Fish Stew recipe
3½ pounds cod, pollack, or other white firm flesh fillets, cut into 2-inch pieces
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, thinly sliced
2 inches fresh ginger, peeled and minced
4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
4 tablespoons curry powder (for younger children, make sure this is a non-spicy curry powder without cayenne)
1 cinnamon stick (or a pinch of ground cinnamon)
6 cups water
1½ pounds sweet potatoes (about 3 large potatoes), peeled and cut into medium dice
6 ounces baby spinach, washed
2 cups plain low-fat yogurt
- Season fish fillets with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and ginger and sauté for approximately 5 minutes until onions are lightly browned. Add garlic and cook another minute. Then add curry powder, cinnamon stick and cook for another minute. Add water and bring to a low boil.
- Add sweet potatoes to the pot. Reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add fish and spinach to pot, adjust seasonings if necessary and continue to cook for another 10 minutes until all the ingredients are cooked through.
- Remove saucepan from the heat and gradually stir in yogurt.