Next Generation Center Catering Manager
On average, The Catering Company caters approximately 35 events a year. The Company is capable of producing all types of events including breakfast, fancy lunches, cocktail parties, and/or sandwich lunches. Many of the events have taken place internally in Children’s Aid Society while others have taken place externally in businesses, organizations, and private homes. Events range in size, up to 275 served for breakfast and up to 100 served for dinner.
Youth staff consists of ten to fifteen trained caterers at any given time. Some of these youth are in training and some are working in the company. Our Transitional Employment Program enables participants to learn how to work while working. Participants must first complete a five-week job readiness training program (the “Pre-Work Crew”) before they can apply to work in one of our four subsidized internships (“Work Crews”).
The Catering Crew was launched in December 2008. We are looking for a Catering Program Manager to direct all aspects of the catering business and the program coordination.
The Catering Program Manager is directly responsible for the following duties:
Operation of the catering business:
• Managing all aspects of catered events, including planning, prep, transportation, and event execution.
• Provide exemplary customer service for all clients, from initial event request to completion of the event.
• Ordering and maintaining inventory of food and other supplies;
• Managing accounts payable and receivable systems, as well as youth payroll, and overseeing the program budget;
• Maintaining and developing operating systems for production, sales and service of all menu items and catered events;
• Developing high quality menus featuring fresh, seasonal and healthful dishes;
• Complying with all city, state and federal rules and regulations regarding the preparation and sale of food products;
• Supervising part-time catering assistant(s);
• Maintaining kitchen equipment, securing replacements for existing equipment when necessary;
• Planning for the growth and expansion of program;
Operation of the culinary training program:
• Manage the NGC Employment Program work crews based on the guidelines of the “Guide for Intern Supervisors”.
• Hiring, training, supervising and managing youth interns;
• Utilizing, updating, and administering existing curriculum.
• Creating an environment that supports the growth and professional development of youth employees;
• Learning and using the therapeutic techniques of Motivational Interviewing and Restorative Practices to cultivate a spirit of community, teamwork and respect;
• Tracking program outcomes using ETO and other assessment techniques;
• Supervising part-time Pre-Catering instructor;
Executing catering events:
• Overseeing the preparation of all food for catered events;
• Coordinating transportation of food and staff for catered events:
• Managing all aspects of the event on-site, including both front of the house and back of the house activities;
• Providing exemplary customer service on-site at all catered events;
• Supervising interns and adult staff during all catered events;
Overseeing daily afterschool snack:
• Oversee the production of daily snack for the afterschool program at NGC;
• Train and oversee youth interns in the various menus and recipes, as well as additional duties that accompany the snack internship;
• Create healthful, economical snack recipes and menus;
• Order and maintain inventory of items necessary for the daily production of the snack
• Other duties as required.
• Experience executing all phases of on- and off-site catered events;
• Experience creating and costing menus, and client relations;
• Experience training, supervising, and managing kitchen staff ;
• Excellent cooking/baking skills focused on natural, whole foods and ingredients;
• Experience working with and mentoring challenging adolescent population;
• Must have or obtain NYS Department of Health Food Handlers Certificate;
• Excellent organizational skills;
• Ability to work in a team and independently;
• Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines;
• Flexibility to work all hours, including early mornings, late nights and weekends;
• Basic computer literacy.
Please upload a cover letter and resume below:
Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted
Children's Aid Society is an equal opportunity employer