Assistant Budget Director
The Children's Aid Society (CAS) of New York City, a non-profit organization serving approximately 70,000 children in poverty with a budget in excess of $100 million, is searching for an experienced professional to join its Central Budget Office as Assistant (Deputy) Budget Director.
With primary responsibilities that range from development and implementation of a consolidated annual budget, leading analytical efforts for planning and monitoring, streamlining processes, policies and procedures to overseeing daily operations of the central budget office, the Assistant Director will engage in the budgetary efforts of the agency’s diverse program and administrative offices. Working closely with the central Budget Director, the Assistant Budget Director will recommend strategies and solutions to help improve budget systems, reporting, analyses and customer service.
The ideal candidate will have an established record of leadership in budget environments, a demonstrated commitment to customer service, teamwork and meeting deadlines. He or she will be detail-orientated to accurately execute budget plans, monitor and analyze accounts while concurrently understanding the bigger picture for communicating operational and institutional policies, as well as participating in strategic planning discussions. Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, high aptitude for analytical and critical thinking, ability to multi-task and prioritize are key skills needed in this position. Strong technical skills in large not-for-profit and/or government fiscal and budget systems are preferred.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Develop the annual budget in collaboration with program areas and senior leadership.
• Lead cost allocation efforts and approve personnel and other-than-personnel (OTPS) changes.
• Analyze budget assumptions for reasonableness and review quarterly updates and projections.
• Perform short and long-term financial forecasting and financial modeling.
• Evaluate various financial and budgetary implications for units and the agency in order to formulate viable options and recommendations.
• Assist or advise in creating new budgets in support of proposal writing efforts for private and public/government grants.
• Provide training to budget staff in various divisions and departments throughout CAS.
• Collaborate with Human Resources on funding availability for new job postings and revisions.
• Develop and assist in reporting efforts to audiences at various levels.
• Work in collaboration with other fiscal areas, Controller, Financial Reporting, and Grants to understand trends and transaction history.
• Advise the Budget Director with respect to the potential impacts of current and long term revenue/expense forecasts.
• A Bachelor’s degree and five years of experience in accounting, finance, or related field; or a Master’s degree and three years of experience in budget or similar area.
• Minimum of five years of work experience with at least 3 years in progressively responsible budget planning.
• Experience managing and supporting an institution-wide budget development process.
• Thorough understanding of complex budget planning issues in not-for profit organizations with government funding revenue sources.
• Demonstrated ability to develop models depicting various financial events and proposals.
• Proven ability to access and retrieve information from databases and skill developing routine budgetary reports for internal and external stakeholders.
• Experience with Great Plains accounting system preferred.
• Established proficiency with Microsoft Office Applications (Excel, Word, Power point).
• Working experience with the FRX and Crystal Reports desirable.
• Familiarity with Millennium, Time force, Workplace is a plus.
• Ability to manage multiple assignments and respond to various audiences.
• Strong customer service skills preferred.
• Flexible team player willing to assist with meeting deadlines.
• Working knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and system including fund accounting.
Please upload a cover letter and resume below:
Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted