Children's Aid Recognized for Its Century of Service to the Greenwich Village Community
Children's Aid's Philip Coltoff Center received a prestigious Village Award from the Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation for its long service to the community - 117 years and counting!
The neighborhood has evolved over the years, but Children's Aid's commitment to the community has remained the same.
In a ceremony held on June 15, Children's Aid and the center's director, Steve Wobido, were singled out for playing a vital role in the area, providing educational, recreational and service programs for Village families.
The center opened on Sullivan Street in 1892 to serve the immigrant and working class population. Children's Aid offered instruction in cooking and the trades, in addition to reading, writing and arithmetic. Currently the center offers early childhood education, after-school programs and summer camp, with a special emphasis on the arts.
The Villager ran an article in its June 17-23 issue highlighting all of the Village Award winners.