Become a Foster Parent
The Children's Aid Society is looking for very special New York City residents in the Bronx, Manhattan and Staten Island to provide temporary homes, stability and loving care to children whose families are currently unable to care for them. Won't you consider opening your home and your heart to a child who needs you? We are looking for foster parents for children of all ages, races and religions. We especially need foster parents who can provide for:
- Brothers and sisters together
- Teenagers, teen mothers and children
- Children who are medically or physically challenged
- Children with emotional needs
Although they come from different backgrounds and experiences, all of these children have one thing in common: they are all absolutely lovable. With care from a loving foster parent, they can thrive and bring joy, laughter and love into your home.
Open Your Home to a Neighborhood Child
The Children's Aid Society's unique foster care program keeps children in their own neighborhoods. This way, they can go to the same schools and keep the same teachers, friends and supports in place. This approach helps the foster parent as well. All of these children have one thing in common: they are all absolutely lovable. The child is happier, resources are more familiar and connecting to other foster parents is easier. It also helps foster parents develop a positive relationship with birth families, which can speed up the time it takes to reunite the family. To avoid moving children to other parts of the city, we especially need homes in the following New York City boroughs and neighborhoods:
Morrisania Heights/Crotona Park
North Shore Communities
Therapeutic Foster Care
Boroughs of Bronx, Manhattan and Staten Island
Medical Foster Care
There Are So Many Rewards
Like parenting, foster parenting has challenges but is also highly rewarding. The best rewards are the hugs and kisses, but there are others, too.
- Earn Respect As a Children's Aid foster parent, you will be treated as a professional caregiver and respected member of a team making important decisions about a child's life.
- Gain New Skills You will receive training on topics such as child development, discipline, legal and medical issues.
- Serve Your Community As a "community foster parent," you will help care for your community's most precious resource - its children.
- Make a Difference in a Child's Life Most rewarding of all is the relationship you will develop with your foster child. By standing in for a child's parent at this difficult time, you can give a child the ability to trust, love and hope again.
You Can Be a Foster Parent!
If you are at least 21 years old and have your own income - from a job, public assistance, pension or social security - you can qualify to be a foster parent with The Children's Aid Society.
Even if I'm single? Yes!
Even if I'm older? Yes!
Even if I already have children? Yes!
Even if I rely on public assistance? Yes!
The most important qualification is that you care deeply for children!
Want to Learn More?
If you would like to learn more about becoming a foster parent with The Children's Aid Society, please call us today.
Bronx: (718) 589-3400
Manhattan: (212) 949-4800
Staten Island: (718) 447-2630
Our Home-Finding staff will answer any questions you have and invite you to our next orientation meeting. There is no commitment. This is just a first step, but an important one, for you and a child who needs your help. Please call to learn more.
Interested in Adoption?
If so, please call us at (212) 949-4961 or click here. We can put you in touch with our Adoption Department.